It’s been a very tough week, extremely tough for some. Hurricane Irene caused water damage, power outages, no water supply and major flooding of neighboring towns. Many will still be recovering this weekend. If you were spared Irene’s wrath, please take time out this weekend to help someone else. This is Labor Day weekend and there are some ways to relax and have fun in Baristaville for the “end of summer” weekend.
For a hula-hooping, finger-snapping send-off to summer, head over to Van Vleck Gardens on Monday, Labor Day, and help yourself to a slice of birthday cake. The Labor Day Potluck at Van Vleck with Hoops & Jazz celebrates Horticulturalist Howard Van Vleck, the last member of the Van Vleck family to reside at Van Vleck House in Montclair. Howard was born on September 4, 1904. In his honor and to celebrate the 1993 transfer of the Van Vleck House & Gardens to the Montclair Foundation. Bring a lunch and a favorite dish to share and enjoy a piece of birthday cake courtesy of Van Vleck. From 1:30 to 2:30, kick back and enjoy an outdoor concert by the Richard Reiter Jazz Quartet. Or keep moving with a hula hoop. Bring a hoop, borrow a hoop, or make one. Tubing will be supplied.
Labor Day Pot Luck at Van Vleck with Hoops & Jazz
Monday, September 5 from 1 pm – 3 pm
Van Vleck House & Gardens, 21 Van Vleck Street, Montclair, NJ, 07042
This weekend is also a Museums On Us weekend, which means that any Bank of America cardholder will receive free museum admission to the following area museums:
- Montclair Art Museum, 3 South Mountain Avenue, Montclair, NJ.
- Newark Museum, 49 Washington Street, Newark, NJ.
- Aljira, A Center for Contemporary Art, 591 Broad Street, Newark, NJ.
- Morris Museum, 6 Normandy Heights Road, Morristown, NJ.
- Liberty Science Center, 222 Jersey City Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ.
- Jersey City Museum, 350 Montgomery Street, Jersey City, NJ.
- The Bronx Zoo, Fordham Road, New York, NY.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1000 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY.
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, 12th Avenue and 46th Street, New York, NY.
- Whitney Museum of Art, 945 Madison Avenue, New York, NY.
- New York Aquarium, Surf Avenue & West 8th Street, New York, NY.
Museums on Us
Saturday, September 3 and Sunday, September 4
Free admission for each cardholder (debit or credit) at participating museums
Like cricket? The New Jersey T20 Cricket Tournament takes place at Watsessing Park in Bloomfield. Cricket Council USA, a sports and entertainment management organization has joined forces with CricketHappening.Com to sponsor the tournament. Six teams will compete for the Championship Trophy and $5,000.00 in cash prizes. As part of the U.S. Cricket Open Championship Series, a representative team from the 2011 New Jersey T20 Cricket Tournament will be invited to participate at this year’s prestigious U.S. Cricket Open to be held on December 1 – 4, 2011 at the Central Broward Regional Park Cricket Stadium, Lauderhill, Florida.
New Jersey T20 Cricket Tournament
Saturday, September 3 – Monday, September 5
Watsessing Park, Bloomfield Avenue and Conger Street, Bloomfield, NJ