Yesterday was General Election Day. Did you vote? I did and I took my daughter with me to teach her that all elections are important. I was in the minority though. Essex County voter turnout was only 11.26%, according to the Clerk’s office.
Democrats tightened their control of the state Assembly in Tuesday’s November 3rd elections, taking three seats away from a Republican party, reports NJ.com. Democrats will now control at least 51 of the 80 seats in the lower house of the state Legislature as of January — their biggest majority since 1979.
Here are local early Essex County results:
- Sheriff: Armando Fontoura (D) won with 39,967 votes against Antonio Pires (R) with 10,466 votes
- Clerk: Christopher Durkin (D) won with 40,717 votes against Adam Kraemer (R) with 10,551 votes
Assembly 34th District
- Sheila Y. Oliver (D) won with 9,047 votes and Thomas P. GIiblin (D) with 8,924 votes
Glen Ridge Township
- Mayor: Stuart Patrick (I) — 340 votes
- Borough Council: Ann Marie Morrow (I) — 376 votes / Paul A. Lisocicz (I) — 342 votes