House catches fire on Llewellyn Road in Montclair
Llewellyn Road caught fire just after midnight on Tuesday, May 12.
PHOTO BY ERIN ROLL/STAFF
By ERIN ROLL
Two firefighters were injured while responding to a house fire at 71 Llewellyn Road just after midnight on Tuesday, May 14.
The Montclair Fire Department received a call about the fire at 12:41 a.m., Deputy Chief Robert Duncan said. Units arrived and found heavy fire venting out of the third-floor side windows, and called for a second alarm response.
The cause of the fire was an electrical wiring malfunction, Duncan said.
The house sustained heavy fire damage on the third floor, and smoke and water damage on the basement level, first floor and second floor.
Units from East Orange, Orange, Bloomfield, Clifton and West Orange helped to bring the fire under control. Units from Caldwell, Cedar Grove and Belleville provided fire coverage to Montclair while the fire was being contained.
The occupants of the house had been awakened by the smell of smoke, and had evacuated the house before fire crews arrived. There were no injuries to the occupants or to any other civilians.