Montclair Local seeking a new editor, CEO: Apply now
Montclair Local, New Jersey’s award-winning news organization, seeks an innovative, proven newsroom leader as the next Editor in Chief and Chief Executive Officer. Qualified candidates may apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The candidate will succeed current Editor in Chief and Chief Executive Officer Louis C. Hochman, who departs the organization in late June.
About Montclair Local
Montclair Local is a dynamic nonprofit news organization serving the diverse community of Montclair in northern New Jersey. Since it was launched in 2017, the Local has covered a wide range of issues vital to residents, including aging school infrastructure, the debate on how the local school board is chosen, the impact of the Covid pandemic on families, loads of high school sports and the struggles and triumphs of the town’s many small businesses. The organization is supported by donors, a growing membership program and advertising.
Editor in Chief Responsibilities
The Editor in Chief leads a small, hardworking staff that produces stories and photos daily across social channels, the Local’s website, app and the weekly print edition. The coverage is valued by Montclair’s residents and outsiders as well; the Local has won the New Jersey Press Association’s top award every year since it became eligible.
The Editor in Chief sets priorities for coverage, making assignments and working with staff and freelancers to produce coverage that meets the highest journalistic standards and engages readers on digital and print platforms.
The Editor in Chief directs a newsroom that tracks the town’s institutions and holds its leaders accountable to residents, while also finding stories that illuminate the warm, funny, poignant and occasionally goofy things that happen in town.
The Editor in Chief must be a strong digital journalist who can cultivate a culture of exploration and innovation. That will mean continuing to train and develop staff digital skills and understanding of how to best meet audience needs and leverage audience habits online.
The Editor in Chief is responsible for staff recruitment and development. Regular feedback against goals is important for individual and team growth.
The Editor in Chief writes or edits weekly and breaking newsletters and edits or oversees editing of all news, sport, feature, entertainment content and the guest columns and letters submitted by readers.
The Editor in Chief works closely with the Local’s business and development team on outreach to funders, including foundations, other grantors and members of the Montclair community, and works with the Board of Trustees and board committees. The Editor in Chief represents the Local at appropriate gatherings and engages with the community, in person when practical.
Editor in Chief Qualifications
- Minimum of 3 years experience leading a newsroom
- Proven experience leading change and engaging audiences
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, lean organization
- History of working well with and managing the work of others
- Willingness to live in the Montclair area is desirable
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective time management, meets deadlines regularly
- Experience leading digital strategy
- Working knowledge of InDesign or similar software
- Working knowledge of Wordpress, Mailchimp, Slack, Google & publishing schedule software, Google Analytics, and ability to learn new platforms as needed
Chief Executive Officer Responsibilities
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the overall operation of the organization. The CEO works with the business and development leaders to set revenue (advertising, product and fundraising) goals and budgets and oversees annual and strategic plans to achieve those. The CEO works on partnership development that support the Local’s journalism and goals, and coordinates closely with the Board of Trustees’ Executive Committee.
Chief Executive Officer Qualifications
- Experience successfully building and meeting a revenue-expense budget
- Experience successfully supervising or collaborating with business colleagues
- Experience delegating responsibilities and seeking followup to ensure success
- Experience successfully communicating goals and results to a board or key stakeholders
- Experience working actively in fundraising and partnership creation
- Experience recruiting, managing staff with a focus on diversity, equity and inclusion
- Demonstrated understanding of journalism ethics, commit to upholding the Local’s ethical and conduct codes
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health benefits
- Paid vacation and sick days
Qualified candidates may apply by sending a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org