St. Patrick’s Day 2022 events, parades in and around Montclair
Those looking to get into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day will have several opportunities, in and around Montclair throughout March.
- Montclair actor, musician and storyteller Richard Stillman will perform his Irish Balladeer show in-person at the Van Vleck House and Gardens, located at 21 Van Vleck St., on Sunday, March 6 at 2 p.m. The show includes Irish songs, stories and dancing. Some of the instruments used include Irish tenor banjo, mandolin, bagpipes, concertina, cittern guitar, penny whistle, bodhran, bones and harmonica, Stillman said in an announcement of the event.
- Stillman also brings his show virtually this month to the John F. Kennedy Memorial Library and Museum, with performances streamed from its website, jfklibrary.org, from March 5 to March 26 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Stillman’s band will additionally play at the Hunter Mountain Irish Festival in Chatham on Saturday, March 12 and at the New Jersey Kilt Festival in Bridgewater on Thursday, March 17.
- Tierney’s Tavern, located at 138 Valley Road, will host its annual celebration with bagpipers and Irish dancers on March 17, starting at 1 p.m. The tavern promises “350 pounds of corned beef” and “tons of Guinness.”
There is no St. Patrick’s Day parade in Montclair this weekend, but there are several nearby. Some are being held for the first time since the start of the coronavirus pandemic:
- Newark’s parade will be on Friday, March 11 at 1 p.m. The parade will begin at the Prudential Center on Mulberry Street, then make its way through Gateway Center, the NJ Performing Arts Center, Military Park, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Newark Museum and Washington Park. For more information, see newarkparade.com.
- Morris County will hold its annual parade on Saturday, March 12 at noon. It will begin at Morristown Town Hall, located at 200 South St. The parade will head to South Street and the Morristown Green, and will continue along Washington Street to Morristown High School. For more information, see paradeday.com.
- West Orange will hold its annual parade on Sunday, March 13. The festivities will begin with a Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes Church, at 1 Eagle Rock Ave., at 9:30 a.m. The parade steps off at 12:15 p.m. at the corner of Mt. Pleasant Ave. and Main Street, culminating at Our Lady of Lourdes Church. For more information, see westorangeparade.com.