Weston Awards honor 16 Montclair teachers
After receiving more than 300 nominations, the selection committee for the 2023 Judy Weston Awards for Inspired Teaching has announced 16 winners.
The awards, administered by the Montclair Fund for Educational Excellence, honor school district teachers who stand out for their creativity, talent and support of students. Each teacher will receive an individual cash award of $2,000.
The committee selected one teacher from each school to receive an award, with two awards going to the high school. There were also three “at large” awards and one special education award.
Award winners by school
- Scott Berman, Glenfield Middle School
- Jessica Buel, Montclair High School
- Marcie Chanin, Bradford Elementary School
- Diana Chicaleski, Buzz Aldrin Middle School
- Kersy Corporan, Montclair High School
- Shawn David Dey, Northeast Elementary School
- Corrine Haggerty, Edgemont Montessori Elementary School
- Satin Jordan, Renaissance at Rand Middle School
- Karja Longmore, Hillside Elementary School
- Maria Martire, Nishuane Elementary School
- Drury Thorp, Watchung Elementary School
- Jennifer Woschinko, Charles H. Bullock Elementary School
At-large award winners
- Rachel Dunn, Renaissance at Rand Middle School
- Peter Lentini, Buzz Aldrin Middle School
- Katie Piller, Watchung Elementary School
Special education award winner
- Lora Orta, Teacher of the Deaf, Montclair Public Schools
Families nominated teachers through written, video and audio submissions, and the selection committee met throughout May to review the nominations, the release says. For a full list of all teachers nominated for the award, please visit the MFEE website.
The selection committee included Dr. Marcheta Evans, Bloomfield College; Cheryl Hopper, Montclair Public Schools principal (retired), former head of Montclair State University school leadership initiatives; Dr. Doris Walker-Bennett, Sister to Sister; Marilyn Davis, Montclair State University Network for Educational Renewal; Tanya Poteat, Montclair Child Development Center; June Raegner, PTAC (PTA Council); Janet Torsney, Montclair Public Library; Kathy Hurling, Montclair Public Schools teacher (retired); the Rev. Dr. A. Craig Dunn, Montclair Neighborhood Development Corp.; Joanne McCullough, IMANI; Naomi Wallace, Montclair YMCA; Marcia Marley, Succeed2gether; Jada Roman, Montclair SEPAC (Special Education Parent Advisory Council); and Joy Scally, Montclair Public School teacher (retired).
“It’s been a delight for my family and me to bring the awards back in Judy’s memory,” Josh Weston said in the release. “The teacher awards were something near and dear to her heart, and while it feels bittersweet to be awarding them for the first time without Judy, we are excited to be able to publicly celebrate and award these inspiring teachers.”
The awards ceremony, open to the public, will take place June 1 in the George Inness Annex cafeteria. RSVP to the ceremony here – it is required for entrance.